If the new keepers supplement has been stamped by a DVLA local office you’ll need to complete a V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C' before you can apply.
What happens next
The DVLA local office may need to inspect your vehicle before they will continue with the retention of your personalised number plate and will contact you to arrange an appointment. If they don’t need to inspect, they’ll approve your application within seven working days.
On approving your application, the DVLA local office will send you:
- a confirmation letter to advise the replacement reg number
- a new tax disc showing the replacement reg number
- an authorisation letter (V948) to get your number plates made up
Allow at least seven working days, after sending your application, before contacting DVLA customer enquiries if you don’t receive these documents.
DVLA, Swansea will send you:
- a retention document showing you as the grantee
- a registration certificate showing the replacement reg number
These should arrive within four weeks of getting the confirmation letter. It can take up to six weeks if you use a V62 application to support your application.
If you retain the registration number in someone else’s name, the retention document will be sent to them, as they are recorded as the grantee.